Everything that you need to know to travel from Athens to Santorini, that amazing place that we all want to visit at some point in our lives! The post has information about the Ferry from Athens to Santorini and also flying to Santorini from Athens airport
There are two ways for you to go from Athens to Santorini!
The fastest option is by Airplane from the Athens International Airport, it will take you approximately 55 minutes to land to the Island and the cost depends on the season that you are flying! The high season would be around ~150$ (134 euros) and low season ~90$ (80 euros).
Low season is May and September, midseason is June and High season is July and August! If you want to go there and enjoy the island and the weather but not going high season I would recommend you to go around September. In September the weather is amazing and it is still a great month for you to visit Santorini.
If you would like to enjoy the trip and sit back and relax you can also go on a ferry from Athens to Santorini. The ferries are departing from Peiraeus port and the island from the port is about ~180 miles. There is a fast ferry and a slow one, the fast one takes around ~5 hours to reach the port of Santorini and the slow one does ~9 hours.
Regarding the cost, the slow one is around ~45$ (41euros) and the fast one ~55$(50 euros)
What else to know to travel from Athens to Santorini?
Make sure that you have all the documentation that you need stored in a safe place. That would be the tickets of the ferry or the airplane, depending what you are taking to get there, also don’t forget your own documentation such as Passport and ID.
The general rule of going earlier always helps and gives you the opportunity of getting a better seat on a ferry or a boat. If you are going with a speed boat then the seat is certain so getting earlier there doesn’t mean that you are going to get better seat.
Some tips to know travelling from Athens to Santorini
- If you are getting a ferry take the proper stuff with you like sunglasses, sun cream and in some cases your favorite food. Food at the ferries is super expensive and not that great.
- If you are taking a ferry and you are getting seasick easily, take the proper medication beforehand like Dramamine
- If you are going with an airplane then you can take most of the things that you need at the Airport. It has a lot of stores with Hats, sun creams and also any medication for you.
Other articles you might like:
A few facts about Santorini:
- The island has one of the largest volcanic eruptions in recorded history
- It is famous for dramatic views and stunning sunsets
- Arguably the most famous of the Greek islands
- It is the home of a small Wine industry
- The Island has two ports and one Airport
If you are looking to read more about Santorini and things to do there then check this post which is dedicated to this beautiful Island
Please share the love if you liked the article and let me know your experiences getting from Athens to Santorini.