If you are looking for interesting facts about Greece then you are in the right place
Let’s first start with the basic facts about Greece!
- In Which continent is Greece and how much is the population of Greece? Greece is located in Europe and we are one of the southeastern countries in Europe. The population of Greece is around 10 million people.
- Which are the Greek borders? we are bordered by Albania, Bulgaria, Turkey and the Republic of Macedonia. We share our maritime borders with Cyprus, Egypt, Italy, and Libya.
- What is the capital of Greece and the Greek Currency? The capital of Greece is Athens and our currency is the Euro
- What is the Greece language and the country code? The language of Greece is Greek and the country code is +30
Did you know the following Facts about Greece?
Do you know how many islands Greece has? Greece has around six thousand islands in the Aegean and the Ionian Sea of which around 200 hundred are inhabited
Which are the most well known Greek Islands?
- Santorini: Known for the unique views and stunning sunsets, Santorini has appeared over 5m times on Instagram
- Mykonos: The Island which has everything, the most intense nightlife in Greece but also a place to enjoy beautiful sea and delicious food
- Crete: A combination of Mountain and Sea, Crete is a unique destination which you can find everything from Canoeing and Hiking to isolated small beaches with crystal clear blue water
How to get to those Islands from Athens?
How old is Greece? Ancient Greece started into around the 8th century before Christ
Some unusual fact about Greece:
Did you know that Military service is Mandatory for Males in Greece? It is 9 months for the Army and one year for the Navy and Air force. Greek males between 18 and 60 are required to do a partial training again if they are living in specific areas of Greece.
Greece consists of nine geographic regions:
- Central Greece
- Aegean Islands
- Ionian Islands
- Crete and Thrace
Greece is considered to be the native home of democracy, western philosophy and literature, and extensive scientific and mathematical principles.
Five Greek Philosophers that you should know:
- Socrates: The originator of Western Philosophy and the first moral philosopher.
- Plato: Broadly considered the central figure in the history of Ancient Greek and Western Philosophy.
- Aristotle: The creator of the Lyceum and the Peripatetic school of philosophy.
- Epicurus: Born on the Greek Island of Samos, Epicurus founded a highly influential school of Philosophy now called Epicureanism.
- Democritus: Considered as the father of modern science, Democritus is well known today for his formulation of an atomic theory of the universe.
- Greece is also considered one of the sunniest countries in the world with more than 240 days of sun on average and some of the Islands could see even around 300 days of sun per year!
- Most of the population of Greece is living in the capital of Athens, around ~45% of the total population lives in Athens, Greece. The capital on the summer around August though is pretty empty because most of the people are visiting other parts of Greece and mostly Islands.
- Did you know that the Island of Ikaria is considered Blue Zone? A Blue zone is a defined place where the environment is conducive to old age and in Ikaria it is most likely for its residents to reach the age of 90+
If you liked my post on the facts about Greece and helped you please share it and let me know your thoughts! Would love to hear what you think and any comments you might have!